June 1, 2010

It's one of the worst weeks for DVD in a while...

...though it features one very profitable film, not that it matters to me. For my requisite PICK OF THE WEEK, I had to go with a tiny film that's decently good, but not extraordinary in any real way. It's:
Tony Manero
This Chilean suspense film has an interesting concept, but underwhelmed me when I saw it. There's nothing overtly wrong with a film that seems like American Psycho meets Saturday Night Fever (though it's not on the level of either of those flicks), but it just didn't set my world on fire. That being said, it's easily the best of the bunch this week, so if you're determined to make a purchase on a new release, this is where my recommendation lies.
-Also out this week are two awful films in Alice in Wonderland and The Wolfman. Alice made a boatload of money, but it ranks as perhaps Tim Burton's worst film to me. Wolfie is supposed to be better with its Director's Cut, but it won't ever make it into my Blu-Ray player, so I'll never know. If either of these films worked for you, grab them and enjoy, but they did nothing for me.
-My Vintage pick this week is, in honor of the release of Get Him to the Greek, the film that inspired it. It's Forgetting Sarah Marshall, and I absolutely adore this awkward romantic comedy. It's hilarious and touching, well worth a second (or third, or fourth) viewing.
-What will you be watching on DVD this week?

8 comments:

  1. The coming weeks are better, I promise...

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...especially if you're a Scorsese fan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved Forgetting Sarah Marshall - Mila Kunis is terrific in it, and shows what an underrated talent she it - but Get Him to the Greek looks awful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everything I've heard is that the movie is great but the trailer is a huge disservice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wouldn't be too surprised, just because most of the trailers for Apatow films really correlate with the quality of the films they represent...

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's as much as anything the issues a trailer has when the material is too filthy for a Green Band trailer.

    Over 70% on Rotten Tomatoes right now, so it seems to be getting strong reviews, though it could change...we'll see.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now that you reminded me that film, i´ll be watching (again) one of my favourites pictures: Saturday night fever. Disco music, cinematography, the cast, Travolta´s role, NY streets in the late seventies, etc...
    I have the dvd, but i´m anxious to buy this movie on Blu Ray soon.

    ReplyDelete