June 8, 2010

Martin Scorsese's latest hits DVD this week...

...but will it be my pick of the week, given how I was slightly more reserved in my praise for it than most (though I'd argue I gave it a very nice 3.5 star review)? (The review can be found here, along with everyone else's take on the flick) Well, it's not an especially strong week otherwise, which has been the trend as of late (though most summer DVD seasons are like this), so it has a good chance. Without further ado, my PICK OF THE WEEK. It's:
Shutter Island
A very good piece of genre fare that functions best when thought of in that regard, Martin Scorsese is obviously having a great time with every frame of film. Leonardo DiCaprio is his reliably excellent self, and the supporting cast is very strong in this flick. It's not a masterpiece, but it's a very strong psychological thriller that's easy for me to recommend.
-Also out this week is the stupid action flick From Paris with Love, the documentary 180 South, and the ridiculously titled direct to DVD comedy The 41 Year Old Virgin Who Knocked Up Sarah Marshall and Felt Superbad About It. I've only seen the first one, and didn't care for it, but if something here appeals to you, pick it up and enjoy.
-My Vintage pick, in honor of this week's release of Winter's Bone, is a handful of other Grand Jury Prize winning films from the Sundance Film Festival. They are The Believer, Frozen River, Primer, and You Can Count on Me. All of these films are very different, but all are of high quality. They all deserve to be seen, so definitely check them out.
-What will you be watching on DVD this week?

7 comments:

  1. Shutter Island is definitely one of the top 10 films of the year so far, but that's partially an indictment of 2010 as much as praise for the film.

    ReplyDelete
  2. But again, this is still a high quality flick...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shutter Island & From Paris With Love are my picks of this week.
    I do monthly facebook notes, highlighting the main films of interest :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with the former, not the latter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent picks in the Vintage section this week. Love all of those films!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Much obliged sir. I'm especially partial to The Believer and You Can Count on Me.

    ReplyDelete