April 18, 2008

Don't "Forget" Some Movies in Theaters This Week!

Joey here, and the movie drought seems to be at an end. There's one big crowd pleaser opening, and a few of the smaller releases will raise some eyebrows.

Let's jump right in. My PICK OF THE WEEK is the newest (and among the best reviewed) of Judd Apatow's gang of humorists. It is:

Forgetting Sarah Marshall

this could be this year's Superbad, and that is a nice compliment to give. Reviews have been steller, and audiences are starved enough for something good to see out there that this should do very well and deserves a look from anyone who enjoyed The 40 Year Old Virgin, Knocked Up, Superbad, etc...

Also opening wide are The Forbidden Kingdom, which will hit the spot if you're into Jackie Chan or Jet Li kung fu flicks (never were my thing though, I must confess) and 88 Minutes, which looks like something you should only consider seeing if you want to make a donation to the "Get Al Pacino a Good Role" fund.

In limited release we have Morgan Spurlock's follow up to Super Size Me, called Where in the World is Osama Bin Laden? It won't teach you anything new, but looks like it is enjoyable enough. Also opening is The Light Before Her Eyes, a drama about the impact a school shooting has on a woman. This is made by the director of House of Sand and Fog, and if you're in an area playing it, should be worth a view.


Will everyone be oggling Sarah Marshall this weekend? Or watching some martial arts? Or even pitying Pacino?

Lemme know!

6 comments:

  1. I watched about 20 minutes of 88 minutes last year. It opened with "Ms. New Booty"...and I almost cringed when I saw Al dancing with some chick that could be his grand daughter. To sum up, it was bad...really bad. Al needs a new agent. If he hadn't done classics before, his career would be finished with this movie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's the general consensus that i've heard...pretty ghastly stuff...I saw Forgetting Sarah Marshall though, and I gotta say, I loved the hell out of it...on the level of Knocked Up and Superbad

    ReplyDelete
  3. that is excellent news about FSM

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw FSM yesterday, and I was not that impressed. Some parts of the movie dragged, and it just did not capture that same fire, which were present in 40 year and Knocked Up.

    There were some really funny moments, but they were very sporadic...and personally, I don't like seeing grown men bitch over women; nor do I like seeing male genitals over and over and over. That's not funny to me.

    Perhaps it will take a second viewing...but I can recall checking my watch every twenty minutes or so, and that's never a good sign for a movie. With that said, it's a decent comedy, I just don't think it is comparable to Knocked Up or 40 year Old Virgin.

    It just felt kind of boring to me.

    That's all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I cannot wait to see FSM, nostalgia for Veronica Mars and nothing more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really relate to Apatow protagonists, so the film (and ones like it) always work for me

    ReplyDelete