April 1, 2008

The Inagural DVD Preview Post

hey all...Joey here with the first of hopefully many DVD release blogs!

Everyone seemed behind the idea, so I'm thinking the format will be that I highlight a couple of new movies being released every tuesday and also mention a few flicks that everyone might not have seen but are well worth looking for (at least in my humble opinion) on your next DVD shopping excursion.

My pick of the week for the new releases is:

Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street

Johnny Depp slashing throats...need I say more?

Honorable mention goes to Jake Paltrow's film "The Good Night" which is an interesting, if flawed, film. Worth a view though, if you see it on the shelf.

As for films already out on dvd, I thought it was apt to start with a few films that never received a theatrical release but were nonetheless of some degree of quality.

The straight to dvd films are Michael Ian Black's "relationship" comedy "Wedding Daze", which has some genuine laughs in it, and that is a ringing endoresement considering the state of comedy today that is not involving Judd Apatow, and Amy Heckerling's "I Could Never Be Your Woman", a sweet romantic comedy that has winning performances by Michelle Pfeiffer, Paul Rudd. and Atonement's Saoirse Ronan Both films were deserving of more of an audience, and have to hope for people to spot them on dvd.

That's this week's DVD preview...be sure to let me know what you think of it!

Be back on Friday (or perhaps Thursday night) to preview the theatrical releases for the week!

1 comment:

  1. I know I didn't mention the release of Alvin and the Chipmunks, but I refuse to acknowledge its existence, which along with Horton Hears a Who, is the continued rape of my childhood lol

    ReplyDelete