February 10, 2008

Public Speaking

Hi all...Joey here...I just was thinking about the acceptance speeches we've heard this season so far and for the first time in a long time, i'm looking foward to hearing Daniel Day-Lewis speak when/if he wins for There Will Be Blood at the Oscars. Why? It's simple, he isn't just thanking everyone except his proctologist. He's paying tribute to his fellow nominees and talking about people other than himself, and of late, speaking in glowing terms about Heath Ledger. This man is the epitome of class and his speech will be no doubt the most interesting to listen to if he wins (perhaps aside from Diablo Cody if she wins for Original Screenplay...and speaking of Juno, the soundtrack rocks!).

What do you guys think? Has Daniel Day-Lewis avoided the curse of a boring speech so far this season, and if he wins, are you anticipating hearing him talk again?

6 comments:

  1. I thought his acceptance speech at the SAG awards was very touching. I loved how he was not blowing his own trumpet, but praising his fellow nominees and especially Heath Ledger. I'd love to hear him speak again at the Oscars. And you can cancel the "if" in your comment, coz I think he's got his second Golden Boy already in the bag. His turn as Daniel Plainview was the performance of the millenium!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup, he gives wonderful speeches. He's really genuine, but also relaxed; like Helen Mirren was last year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's okay to be nervous. Just imagine you'd be standing up there and you know that hundreds of millions of people are watching. The mere thought of this makes me faint!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Although DDL gave a wonderful speech at the SAG awards, I'd rather hear Johnny Depp speak (were there to be an upset). Johnny, like DDL, is very humble and not full of himself, and even more so in my opinion. Johnny deserves the oscar just as much as DDL (who already has one). We'll see, but I'm sensing an upset could be in the works. Either way would be fine with me and they would both give lovely speeches, I just want Johnny to win more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes it is good to see a focused acceptance speech. The shorter the better I say!

    Cheers

    Darren Fleming
    Australia's Public Speaking Coach
    http://www.executivespeaking.com.au

    ReplyDelete