November 5, 2007

DIGGING INTO: Johnny Alba

The man himself, Johnny Alba, editor and founder of The Oscar Igloo. Ask him anything.
Name: Johnny Alba

Birthday and Age: March 1, 1983 (24)

Place of Birth: Lisbon, Portugal
Location: In between LA, CA, US & Lisbon, Portugal

Education: MBA for TV/Film Production (USC, coursing)

What is it about the Oscars that you love so much? "Their unpredictability. Even if we can identify the voting patterns of AMPAS, one can’t always be sure history will repeat itself. There is something especially entertaining about predicting the Oscars that at least for me as a predictor, makes the experience about having fun and sharing this fun with our readers rather than trying to manipulate or influence them."

Future Aspirations: Film Producer in Europe (I have always dreamed to be involved in the first Portuguese motion picture to be nominated in the Best Foreign Language film category).

Your favorite Oscar winning film of the 80 years: Casablanca
In your opinion, biggest Oscar snub (both nomination and winner): Marilyn Monroe, Some Like It Hot (of a deserving nomination) & Robert Altman, Gosford Park (of an even more necessary win)

Hobbies: "Working out, competitive fishing, movies, parties, dating, going out to pubs."

Predicted Best Picture nominees for 2007: Atonement, There Will Be Blood, American Gangster, The Kite Runner & Charlie Wilson’s War

Single, married, engaged, etc? Single

Most embarrassing moment? "I accidentally fell off the stairs on my graduation ceremony when my name was being called to get my university diploma... I still got an ovation for standing up gracefully and quickly..."

Favorite films of all time: Casablanca, Silence of the Lambs, Gone with the Wind, Schindler's List, The Color Purple, The Shawshank Redemption, Nuovo Cinema Paradiso, City of God, Pan's Labyrinth

Favorite actors and actresses. (three each): Vivien Leigh, Marilyn Monroe & Sofia Loren/ Jack Nicholson, Humphrey Bogart and Anthony Quinn

Anything you would like say to your fans and readers: "As usual, thank you for being a part of our community"

Besides yourselves, your favorite Igloo writer. "I like them all, they are very eclectic group of talented people who I have learned to esteem throughout all these years, months, weeks… I personally feel great respect for Rob Cameron, Clayton Davis and Tom Houseman; I have witnessed their professional and personal growth and I know our newest writers will follow their examples."

Your favorite Oscar predictor out there. "Locally, I would give props to Rob Cameron (usually the best predictor within our team) and out on the web; I respect Sasha Stone, Josh Feinberg and Anne Thompson. I think they understand that our job as editors is to follow the race, not try to be a part of it and twist it (There’s a reason why it is called Oscar Coverage)."

10 comments:

  1. Their unpredictability. Even if we can identify the voting patterns of AMPAS, one can’t always be sure history will repeat itself. There is something especially entertaining about predicting the Oscars that at least for me as a predictor, makes the experience about having fun and sharing this fun with our readers rather than trying to manipulate or influence them."

    Well said. I've visited Portugal - Lisbon, Sintra, Evora, Lagos, Salema, Obidos - it's a beautiful place and absolutely one of my favorite countries in Europe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are younger than I thought.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oi eu sou portugues e deves saber falar portugues claro lol olha eu sou um visitante regular do oscarigloo, adoro o site. Gostava de poder falar mais contigo. Se quiseres adiciona-me no msn ou manda-me um mail para: kidmarks1@hotmail.com

    Só agora vi que eras de Lisboa, nao fazia ideia lol

    Ass.: André Marques

    ReplyDelete
  4. IS EVERYONE ON HERE HOT!?

    ReplyDelete
  5. i LOVE the igloo, youve done a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! I was expecting some old dude. You look a bit like Sacha Baron Cohen

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was just about to say the first picture reminded me of Bruno.
    Johnny Alba is a wonderful man, and when he wins his Best Foreign Language Oscar, I hope he thanks me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh the irony that we seem to all be getting compliments on our pictures but mostly all of us list our status as single....random musing on my part

    ReplyDelete
  9. Which current Oscar flop were you most disappointed with when you found out that was less than expected?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I thought you looked like the comic book guy from the simpsons but omg, yummy

    ReplyDelete