February 16, 2009

Superman meets The Matrix?

Perhaps, as there was a report recently (I believe Aint it Cool News broke it) that the Wachowski brothers might be replacing Bryan Singer in directing the next Superman flick, and that it would be the first of a trilogy. If this were to happen, it would certainly be a reversal of direction from the less action oriented Superman Returns, which I happened to like.
-What does everyone think? Should Superman be action packed or more emotion based? Can a happy medium be found? And are Larry and Andy Wachowski the ones to do it? Just some food for thought...

4 comments:

  1. I'm not as big a Superman fan as I am for Batman, but I like Bryan Singer (I actually think he's a bit underrated because of his comic book associations) and I actually thought he might have had some good ideas for the series.

    Really, after their dismal failure with Speed Racer (which I actually thought wasn't that bad), I can't believe Warner Bros. is letting the Wachowskis handle another big budgeted film. Maybe they still have credit from the Matrix trilogy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmmm, I basically just want a great Superman movie at this point. I don't care who or what is involved. Just stay true to the spirit of the character. I actually had an idea for a three part epic they could do.

    Have part one be the origin story and first big conflict with Luthor or some alien force. End Part one with Superman offically being deemed the hero of earth by Metropolis.

    Have part two deal with Braniac or Darksied or Doomsday, and Superman barely makes it out alive. Yet he loses some of his loved ones along the way, and Luthor ends up a casualty.

    Have part three be something akin to Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns, where Superman has to deal with the fact that because of his kyrptonian genes, he does not age past 40-50, but had to watch all those he loved eventually die. He fights one last battle (maybe) and the film ends on a somewhat somber note with the sun going supernova and Superman loses his power because of this, so he finally accepts his fate because he has no powers to stop the inevitable and he has protected the planet as long as he could.

    ReplyDelete