October 30, 2007

DIGGING INTO: Josh Kirschenbaum


> >Name: Josh Kirschenbaum

> >Birthday and Age: September 3, 1991.

> >Location: Westchester NY

> >Education: Currently in my junior year at high school

> >What is it about the Oscars that you love so much?:
"There are many things I love about the Oscars. The single best part is seeing my favorites films of the year get rewarded (although often they are not). I love the complexities of the race. It's politics without the corruption, and with more emphasis on quality. Also, without the Oscars, there would be little incentive for studios to make good movies."

> >Future Aspirations: "Writing. I wish I could be more specific but to me, the specifics don't matter. As long as I'm writing, I'm happy."

> >Your favorite Oscar winning film of the 80 years.: Network

> >In your opinion, biggest Oscar snub (both nomination and winner): Winner: Network losing Best picture to Rocky in 1976. Nomination: John Goodman failing to be nominated for his work in Barton Fink in 1991.

> >Hobbies: "Watching movies, writing for the Igloo, writing for the school paper, reading old noir novels."

> >Predicted Best Picture nominees for 2007.
1. No Country for Old Men
2. Atonement
3. There Will be Blood
4. Before the Devil Knows You're Dead
5. Michael Clayton

> >Single, married, engaged, etc?: Single

> >Most embarrasing moment?: "Losing a $20 bet on the 2005 best picture race with a friend who knows almost nothing about the Oscars (I chose BBM, he chose Crash)."

> >Favorite films of all time: Network-American Beauty-Barton Fink-Brazil-Badlands-Sunset Boulevard-Annie Hall-Boogie Nights-Citizen Kane-Princess Mononoke

> >Favorite actors and actresses.Actors: Dustin Hoffman, Kevin Spacey, John Turturro//Actresses: Diane Keaton, Sissy Spacek, Frances McDormand

> >Anything you would like say to your fans and readers: "Thanks for reading. I hope you've enjoyed my articles so far and I'll try to keep you entertained and informed all the way up until the big night."

> >Besides yourselves, your favorite Igloo writer.: "Tom Houseman. The debate I did with him on Paul Haggis was very fun and I hope to work with him more in the future."

> >Your favorite Oscar predictor out there.: "Can I say the Igloo? If not, I guess it would have to be Sasha Stone over at Awardsdaily."

6 comments:

  1. Aw, Josh, you flatter me so. I had a lot of fun with that debate too, especially because I TOTALLY WON!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the winner was....THE FOURM USERS!

    But wow, I feel soooo old. I'm a senior and i'm older than two of the Igloo writers. Thats just insane! Okay well same question as everyone else:

    Which current Oscar flop were you most disappointed with when you found out that was less than expected?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure. None of the films I've been looking forward too (Michael Clayton, No Country for Old Men) have disappointed me yet.

    I guess it would have to be The Darjeeling Limited. I'm a big fan of Wes Anderson and I was hoping it would be a big hit for him. When it got mediocre to terrible reviews it was a big let down. Even though it wasn't a huge oscar contender, if it had gotten raved by critics it would have had a chance to get a few nominations.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been disappointed by EVERYTHING this year.
    The following anticipated fall films sucked: Gone Baby Gone, The Brave One, 3:10 to Yuma, In the Valley of Elah, Eastern Promises, The Golden Age, Things We Lost in the Fire.
    These ones were mediocre or nothing special: The Darjeeling Limited, Michael Clayton, Rendition, Into the Wild.
    Jesse James was good, but had some problems.
    There have only been two movies since the end of the summer that have matched or exceeded my expectations: Lust, Caution and Across the Universe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Josh is another of our young, yet extremely talented, team members. I see tons of potential in him and hopefully The Oscar Igloo is contribuing to his personal and professional growth.

    ReplyDelete