October 27, 2007

DIGGING INTO: Lee Hernandez


Name: Lee Hernandez

Birthday and Age: 24. June 1st, 1983

Location: West New York, New Jersey

Education: Bachelor of Arts in Communications/Saint Peter's College>

What is it about the Oscars that you love so much? Nothing.

Future Aspirations I aspire to a career in arts journalism.

Your favorite Oscar winning film of the 80 years. 1999's American Beauty

In your opinion, biggest Oscar snub (both nomination and winner)
"Recently, the omission of Catherine O'Hara (For Your Consideration) was appauling. But Jennifer Hudson's undeserved win for Dreamgirls has been most dissapointing."

Hobbies: "Reading about movies and journalism, restaraunts, and going to the movies"

Predicted Best Picture nominees for 2007.
Atonement
Into the Wild
No Country for Old Men
Charlie Wilson's War
Before the Devil Knows You're Dead

Marital Status: Single

Favorite films of all time:
Rear Window, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, Sunset Blvd, All About My Mother, You Can Count on Me, American Beauty, Sister Act 2: Back in the Habit, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, Schindler's List, Broadcast News

Favorite actors: James Stewart, Sean Penn, Kevin Spacey

Favorite Actresses: Julia Roberts, Annette Bening, Vivian Leigh

Besides yourselves, your favorite Igloo writer: "He's no longer with us, but I liked Ben Samara's reviews"

Your favorite Oscar predictor: "I don't know if this seems biased, but I think Johnny (Alba) is always first to predict the "big surprises" every year. He takes risks in his predictions which makes it fun, and most of the time, his choices make it."

9 comments:

  1. same question that I have asked everyone:

    Which current Oscar flop were you most disappointed with when you found out that was less than expected?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Ryne:

    I am most suprised about "Elizabeth: The Golden Age," because I loved the first film, and Cate Blanchett in it. Plus, the trailer for "Golden Age" promised a great film, and from what critics are saying, the film didn't make good on that promise.

    I haven't seen the film yet, but I will be seeing it this weekend. I hope I like it. It probably offers some great performances from Blanchett and Morton nonetheless.

    I expected "Rendition" To be a disaster.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why do you think Amy Adams can be nominated for a kid movie?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Anonymous:

    Thank you for your question.

    You're right to be skeptical about any actress/actor in a fantasy/adventure genre movie.

    Still, Disney nominations have happened & quite recently. Remember the unlikely nomination for Ian McKellen for "The Lord of the Rings:The Fellowship of the Ring" in 2001, or Johnny Depp's leading nomination for "Pirates of the Carribean: Curse of the Black Pearl."

    Furthermore, although "Enchanted" is a "kiddie movie," it also belongs to the "romance" genre. Actors in romance pictures are regularly nominated, like Julianne Moore (The End of the Affair) or Julia Roberts (Pretty Woman).

    "Enchanted" and Adams will both have to be a big hit and box office will have to be huge for Adams to shortlist for Best Actress, but I don't rule that out as a possibility.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mr. Hernandez is not only a great independent thinker, he is a terrific hunch predictor as well. During his time on The Igloo, he has been first on the web to spot potential contenders like Amy Adams in Junebug.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What is it about the Oscars that you love so much? Nothing.

    WHAT?

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's movies I love, not some awards show.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Please, Jennifer Hudson's win was based on OPINIONS of ACTORS. Im pretty sure they know more about it than you do, but of course only White people deserve to win Oscars.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Anonymous:

    With all due respect, I am entitled to my opinion, and I promise you that the color of Ms. Hudson's skin is a non-factor in my evaluation of her work. I myself am a minority and I do not tolerate racism, or prejudice.

    I didn't enjoy her performance for many reasons. And that's my opinion, the same way many people thought Jennifer Connelly cheated 4 actresses out of an Oscar for "A Beautiful Mind," or the way some people call Denzel Washington's win over Russell Crowe for "A Beautiful Mind" nonsense.

    ReplyDelete