November 28, 2008

Initial thoughts on 'Milk'


I haven't seem 'Slumdog' yet, so its tough to say that Milk is the unequivocal frontrunner. However, it will certainly get nominated for best pic. Milk is nothing short of brilliant. From directing to acting, Milk is phenomenal. In terms of acting, I know Brolin and Penn will get a lot of attention for their performances, but I would love for Emile Hirsch to get some love. He was spectacular. I don't want to reveal too much about the movie, but if you get a chance to see it, do so! It's really relevant these days, and will give an adequate historical context to the gay rights (and human rights) movement. Also, I recommend watching the documentary, The Times of Harvey. I can't stress how much more you will appreciate the film if you see some of the actual footage of Harvey Milk's life. You really see that Penn went the extra mile to play Harvey to pefection. So, if you can't catch the movie anytime soon, watch the doc to get ready for the film.

1 comment:

  1. indeed....my thoughts exactly...I'll have a formal review ready in a day or two, but especially Emile Hirsch, I agree 100%

    ReplyDelete