April 1, 2009

Sequel to Eastern Promises Coming Soon?



Here's a snippet from a MTV chat with Cronenberg:

MTV: “We are moving forward with it,” Cronenberg told MTV News in an exclusive chat. “We all are excited about the idea of doing a sequel.”

The “we” includes Mortensen, who was nominated for a Best Actor Oscar for his role as Nikolai; the film’s screenwriter, Steven Knight; original producer Paul Webster; and original studio, Focus Features.

“We are going to have a meeting very soon between me, Steve Knight and Paul Webster to discuss what the script would be,” Cronenberg said. “I have some very strong ideas about what I would like to see, but I would like to hear what they have to say as well. And then after that, if all goes well, Steve goes away and writes a great script. If we all like it, we make it.”

EW.


6 comments:

  1. way to ruin a good thing

    ReplyDelete
  2. I disagree. Speaking as a HUGE fan of the original, I'd be very interested in where they'd try to take the story, especially if all the original players are still on board, which it looks like they are. For now, I'll remain cautiously optimistic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a person who was found Eastern Promises weak, I think this story gives a better chance to make a story that I might be able to connect with better. Eastern Promises had good individual parts but overall I was left with nothing at the end. So I say this is a good idea, because there was tons of potential.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Myles. Cronenberg is a solid director, and is [hopefully] bringing back the entire group who made EP. I like to give the the guy the benefit of the doubt, before we write it off. Let's wait until the final product is among us before we criticize.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i'll sort of split the difference...on the one hand, I thought the movie was good, but not great, so there's definitely room for improvement...just need to hope you don't succumb to the rule of diminishing returns

    ReplyDelete