May 7, 2008

An Introduction

Josh Kirschenbaum here.

I'll be writing for the blog from now on. A few things you should know:

1. I love comics. This will become painfully apparent during ComicCon, when I'll be geeking out at the plethora of new info on Frank Miller's The Spirit and Zack Snyder's (unfortunately doomed) Watchmen.

2. I'll have a recurring feature where I'll write a primer of sorts on a great director. I'll analyze recurring themes, motifs, and trademarks and do mini-reviews of their best work. Hopefully, I will get to the root of why this particular director is so revered. If you have any recommendations on who I should start with, let me know in the comments.

3. I currently have 36 favorite movies. I will post my list (along with justifications/praise for each film) in the next few weeks.

4. Frost/Nixon is going to fail. Sorry I had to be the one to tell you.

If you have any other questions or comments, leave them in the comments and I'll be happy to respond.

3 comments:

  1. I think that the director you should start with has to be STEVEN SPIELBERG. He's a great allrounder and shaped the history of cinema like no one else over the past four decades.

    What makes you so sure that Frost/Nixon will be a flop? Did you attend a screening? I'm asking coz I've read some extremely enthusiastic remarks on it, especially on Langella.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are a few reasons that lead me to believe Frost/Nixon will flop. I'll elaborate more in a blog post, but simply put:

    1. Peter Morgan has stated that he wrote Frost/Nixon to be a play, and distinctly so. If you've seen it onstage (like I have) you'd know that there are elements of it that would be hard to adapt to the screen by anyone but the most talented of directors

    2. Ron Howard, though his films are often good, is not one of the best directors today, and I would be very surprised if he managed to pull this off.

    I'll much more into detail later, but that's my reasoning in a nutshell.

    Also, I agree with your opinion on Spielberg, though I don't feel that I could write about him effectively as I have yet to see Schindler's List.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have seen Frost/Nixon and it was fantastic so unless you've seen it and personally didn't like it i dont think you should be talkin...anyway even if you have seen it on imdb most of the people who saw it loved it...including myself

    ReplyDelete