May 7, 2008

Memories from a TV classic...

A close friend of mine was showing me some of the early episodes of The Simpsons on his computer earlier today. Growing up in a country where every tv show is dubbed to our native language, I really never experienced the amazing voice-over work done on the series by Dan Castellaneta, Julie Kavner and company.

I think that's exactly where the massive success of The Simpsons comes from, the great writing is able to cross every barrier and every border. Thanks to its universal humor, the show is able to connect with the viewer without ever getting lost in translation.

I haven't watched much of The Simpsons lately though, I probably stopped watching around five or six years ago (Believe it or not, in Portugal it is mostly considered a kids show).

I understand the show is on its way to a 20th season right now. I have heard its quality has somehow declined and it has also lost popularity to South Park and Family Guy (shows I actually watch since I moved to America).

A couple of episodes into our improvised marathon, my friend asks the mandatory question: "What's your favorite episode." I don't know the name so I describe the plot to him, he replies... "Lisa's Substitute." Also one of his favorites.

He then proceeds to show me this old list, Entertainment Weekly's 25 Best "Simpsons" episodes. Great childhood memories came to mind instantly; who can forget Mr. Burns channeling Citizen Kane in "Rosebud" or Homer's quick trip to the gay steel mill in "Homer's Phobia."


Regardless of its current quality, The Simpsons already set its legacy on television and if you watch any of its earlier episodes, you will probably remember why...

Do you have a favorite episode?

5 comments:

  1. I well may be the world's biggest Simpsons fan. My favorite episode is A Streetcar Named Marge from season 4, or maybe Cape Feare from season 5.

    And for the record, I think the new episodes are great. Obviously not as great as the originals, but still exponentially better than the average sitcom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot to comment why I like so much "Lisa's Subtitute."

    I personally like all the episodes that combine comedy and heartfelt drama as great as a James L. Brooks movie would. The moment when Lisa says goodbye to her teacher and he gives her THE note, it's pure gold.

    I also like episodes with similar tones like "Lisa's First Word," "A Street Car Named Marge" and "And Maggie Makes Three" (Do it for her).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marge vs the Monorail rulezzz!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahh...I actually cried the first time I saw Lisa's Substitute. Great episode. Another episode that I think fits the criteria Johnny was describing is Lisa the Vegetarian. That episode has some absolutely hilarious moments (the flying pig) and some truly touching moments (the ending). Great voice work by Paul McCartney, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Cape Feare" by far is my favorite episode. It includes everything I love about The Simpsons. I'm going to go watch it right now, actually.

    ReplyDelete