July 4, 2009

RIP Mrs. Slocumbe aka Mollie Sugden

This passing fell through the cracks with the onslaught of celebrity deaths that we've recently had, but none has this much of an effect on me. I was curious if we'd overlooked any deaths in the past few months or so, and I came across this sad one. Those who are fans of British sitcoms no doubt know the show Are You Being Served?, and the hilarious character that Sugden played. The show has made me laugh with my family (specifically my 76 year old grandfather, who we hear from periodically on the site), so this death is very sad for me. Those who have never seen the show, do yourself a favor and find it on television in re-runs and prepare to laugh your face off...

2 comments:

  1. I remember this show as a kid, laughing away at the characters. Mrs Slocombe has to be one of the most hilarious comedic characters for me, along with Mr Humphries. I was really taken aback when I heard of Mollie's death this last week. We shall be forever in debt to Mrs Slocombe and her Pussy! RIP you legend! And thank you Joey for the remembrance on the site - it's great to know others who love the oldies like this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this show was a friday night staple for my grandfather and I....still is...we laugh and laugh....so sad to lose her, especially with John Inman going a year or two ago

    ReplyDelete