July 21, 2009

Will you be watching the 'Watchmen' on DVD this week?

Surprisingly enough, despite mentioning Watchmen prominently in my title for this week's DVD article, it's not my PICK OF THE WEEK. The main reason for this is that there is a complete version of the film coming in December to DVD, and it's worth waiting for that one. I don't generally believe in making a double dip the top pick, but if I hold back on it now, it might make it easier. So instead of Watchmen, my pick is:
The Great Buck Howard
Even though almost nobody saw this little comedy, it's still something that's just a crowd-pleasing feel good flick. John Malkovich is very good, Colin Hanks and Emily Blunt provide good support, and the story is just interesting enough to work. It's a perfect film to see on DVD if you skipped it in the theaters (and let's be honest, you know you did).
-Of course Watchmen is also out this week (along with an interesting Director's Cut, but I'll deal with that more in December) and is worth checking out if you didn't see it, despite its flaws, but there's also another good film out this week in Coraline. While not on the level of Pixar's work, this is a very good piece of animation that I wouldn't doubt will be up for the Animated Feature Oscar next year.
-Rounding out the new releases is a knockoff of Eagle Eye called Echelon Conspiracy, and even my love of Edward Burns couldn't make me like this one much, though I didn't care for Eagle Eye either, so maybe that has something to do with it. It's not awful, but it's not something you absolutely need to see.
-My Vintage pick this week is, in honor of (500) Days of Summer, a film with a somewhat similar look at love. It's Woody Allen's Annie Hall. One of the best movies about relationships ever, it also represents for most a high water mark for Allen. Either way, it's a classic and well worth a view.
-What will you be watching on DVD this week?

1 comment:

  1. Watchmen is still a good pick, there's just a better version coming

    ReplyDelete