May 18, 2010

Is 'Blue Valentine' becoming one of the darlings of Cannes this year?

Well, in some circles it definitely is. For example, here's what Entertainment Weekly's Dave Karger had to say after leaving his screening:

I’ve just come out of a screening of Blue Valentine, starring Ryan Gosling and Michelle Williams, and I am now completely gutted. I had heard from colleagues who saw it at Sundance that it was intense, but nothing really could have prepared me for this utterly devastating, completely believable marriage drama. It’s been a while since I saw an on-screen couple as convincing as Gosling and Williams, and if there’s any justice, they’ll both earn their second Oscar nominations for their raw, arresting performances. (Gosling scored a Best Actor nod for Half Nelson, while Williams was recognized in the supporting actress race for Brokeback Mountain.) The film, which I hear has been re-edited since Sundance, will definitely get hit from some quarters as being “too depressing” (there’s no semi-uplifting Precious-style ending here) but I hope that critics, moviegoers, and Oscar voters will deem truth a more important criterion than sunniness. If the seemingly impassioned response from the crowd at today’s Cannes screening is any indication, the new cut was a success.


-Excellent news for this flick and the buzz it built out of Sundance...thoughts?

1 comment:

  1. This is one of the 3 or 4 most anticipated films of the year for me, so knowing it might be of high quality is a huge plus in my eyes...

    ReplyDelete