July 8, 2008

Fragments of a DVD Report

Joey here with the weekly DVD report. This week we have a few interesting options, though only one or two really stand out. Luckily, there's only one cinematic abortion to deal with. Let's jump right in with my PICK OF THE WEEK, which comes with a caveat but still is my choice nonetheless. It is:
The Tracey Fragments
- This film has yet another terrific performance from Ellen Page, and that alone would make it worth the pick, but it's decision to use a split screen approach to telling the story also makes it something different. However, that also makes it something that not everyone will be able to sit through. So, if you think you can handle it, this is definitely worth picking up.
-Also out this week worth a mention is Stop-Loss, Kimberly Peirce's soldier drama. Not everyone liked it as much as I did, but I found her work her to be as good a piece of filmmaking as her previous film (Boys Don't Cry) was. We also have The Ruins, which is a solid entry into the horror genre. If you dig that type of flick, it won't dissapoint. There's also the melodrama Sleepwalking, which is decent but nothing special, and the animated Batman: Gotham Knight, which bridges the gap between Batman Begins and The Dark Knight. If anime works for you, it's supposed to be fantastic.
-As usual, this week also has a horrible film being released. That film is Superhero Movie, and while it might not be as bad as Date Movie, it still, pardon my french, sucks out loud. Don't waste your time with this one.
-My "vintage" pick this week is one that I've been preaching about since it first came out in theaters 2 years ago. It's Half Nelson, and Ryan Gosling gives one of the best performances I've ever seen here. His Oscar nomination was well deserved for this role, and I still believe he should have won for it. Pick it up for his performance, but also take note of the unique filmmaking techniques at hand. A great film indeed.
-What will you guys be watching this week?

6 comments:

  1. Ryan Gosling was amazing in that movie, but Peter O'Toole should have won for two reason

    1. The academy owes him...a lot

    2. It was one of his best performances, which is saying something (actually it is saying a lot...as well).

    ReplyDelete
  2. O'Toole was just about as good, but I think Gosling was in the better movie, and that works as a tiebreaker for me

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stupid question, but that was the Forest Whitaker year, right? After following the Oscars for so many years now, they kind of start running together...

    ReplyDelete
  4. no question is stupid, but that was indeed that year

    ReplyDelete
  5. By the way, just finished watching The Tracey Fragments, and I actually really liked the film. It made more sense than I thought it would going in and I thought it was a very original and enjoyable film. While not for everyone, I would reccomend picking it up if you get the chance.

    ReplyDelete