July 19, 2008

Thoughts on the Dark Knight

It's Keith on the one and twos...

Sorry for my hiatus, but I wanted to stay away from blogs and reviews until the Dark Knight came out.

I went today at a matinee showing, and it was packed!!! I deliberately decided to go matinee to avoid a packed theater and screaming babies, and my planned backfired. Despite that, the movie was nothing short of brilliant. Heath's performance went beyond good acting. It was an iconic performance, and he will certainly be rewarded for it. The rest of the cast was phenomenal too, and I hope they won't get drowned by the Heath Ledger experience (which they will). With that said, I wrote earlier that I think the film should be nominated for an Academy Award. This was before I actually saw the film, and now I think my belief is much stronger. The film transcended the traditional superhero flick, and created a whole new species. At one point, I forgot the movie was about a superhero. It just felt like something much more. I looked around the theater, and everyone was completely silent after the film. Honestly, I'd never seen anything like that before. Everyone looked as if they were confused with what they saw. They new it was great, but they had no idea how to react to it. No applause, just silent (yet somber) appreciation.


Also, while watching the Joker, I started to get a sense of what Heath felt like before his death. Clearly, he had his problems, and this role seems to have brought out the best (his performance) and worst (his untimely death) in him. This role should cement his status as one of the greatest actors of his generations.

I would like to also note that Christopher and Johnathan Nolan are geniuses. They deserve some love real fast...They've given us Memento, Insomnia, Batman Begins, The Prestige, and now the Dark Knight! What makes this even more incredible is that they've given us so much in 8 short years.

1 comment: