December 9, 2008

The 2009 Movie Slate Changes a Bit...

Mainly, Ridley Scott won't have his Nottingham film come out next year at all. Read about here, from Variety:
Marking major changes to next year's slate, Universal Pictures has pushed back the release of horror franchise hopeful "The Wolfman" from April 3 to Nov. 6 and taken Ridley Scott's "Nottingham" out of 2009 entirely.
Also, U's "The Fast and the Furious 4" will now open on April 3, instead of June 12.
"Nottingham," toplining Russell Crowe, will open in 2010, but U did not set a specific date.
U said the reshuffling was the sensible thing to do, considering that "Fast 4" is completed, while the Brian Grazer-produced "Nottingham" won't start lensing until February or March.
And moving "Wolfman" -- a reboot toplining Benicio Del Toro -- to Nov. 6 gives the film more of a high-profile release, as well as ample time for post-production. Pic is directed by Joe Johnston.
Even with "Fast 4" opening in April, Universal still has one June 2009 release, the Will Ferrell adventure-comedy "The Land of the Lost," which opens June 5.
With "Fast 4" gone, the June 12-14 weekend now sports two comedies, giving other studios a chance to slot in counterprogramming.
-Wolfman interests me very much...how bout y'all?

5 comments:

  1. Nottingham FYC 2010!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Benicio Del Toro seems like one of those actors who was born to play Wolfman. I also think the casting of Hopkins as his father is a just as believable as Claude Rains as father to Lon Cheney Jr. in the original, so it works.

    I have to say that I'm interested in the new Fast and Furious, and this is from someone who absolutely hated the first three films. Maybe this one can finally be good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too am interested to see what Fast and Furious will bring. I enjoyed the 1st and hated the other two. Diesel commanded my attention whenever he was on screen in the 1st with his charismatic turn as Dom and maybe a return to his starmaking role can right his career. Hopefully this will go more of the the Fast and the Furious route and have the story supported by the cars instead of the flashy cars being the whole movie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. not a Fast and the Furious fan, only seen the first one...didn't do it for me, but I hold no ill will towards it

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the Wolfman concept on the strength of the cast (Del Toro, Hopkins, Emily Blunt, the underrated Hugo Weaving), but the director (Jurassic Park 3 and Hidalgo), constant delays, and early Comic-Con footage have done little to assuage me. We'll see.

    I'm excited about Nottingham, although I hope I haven't spoiled the movie for myself by reading one too many news articles...

    ReplyDelete