August 18, 2009

It's quality over quantity this week on DVD!

With the exception of one film this week, all the movies out on DVD are actually pretty good, though none of them are exceptional, but that's been the case for much of the summer. For my PICK OF THE WEEK I'm going with a somewhat controversial choice, mainly because it won't appeal to everyone. It's
The Last House on the Left
A remake getting my top slot? Yes, I found this redo of Wes Craven's old school horror classic to be one of the better horror films of late, both being quite effective and also, with few exceptions, shockingly real. If you don't have a taste for horror, this isn't for you, but if you like this type of movie, it's a real good one.
-Also out this week on the plus side, we have a trio of serious minded films. There's Tyson, the documentary about the controversial boxer. It's not perfect, but it's a good character study, in the man's own words. There's Julia, the drama which is boosted by a great performance by Tilda Swinton. And finally, we have Surveillance, the crime drama by the daughter of David Lynch. It's not perfect, but I certainly want to see what she does next.
-Unfortunately, this week we also have the release of Hannah Montana: The Movie. She's actually not a horrible actress, but the movie, well...it's horrible frankly. It has no purpose for someone like me, and I almost felt like a pedophile watching it. Moving on...
-For my Vintage pick this week, I'm mixing it up in honor of Inglourious Basterds coming out. If you're a Tarantino fan, watch Pulp Fiction. If you're a WWII fan, watch Saving Private Ryan. And if you are a fan of both....watch both!
-What will you be watching this week on DVD?

3 comments:

  1. I'm sure there are countless other apt picks for the Vintage slot, but I went with the two most obvious ones...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You left off that the Oscar-nominated documentary "The Garden" finally comes out on DVD today. That's what I'll be watching this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I left it off by virtue of not having seen it yet, though I figured that someone would call me on it...enjoy and let us know how it is

    ReplyDelete