August 21, 2009

Shutter Island has been changed by Paramount into a 2010 release!

Some very strange news indeed, as Scorsese's flick was supposed to be an Oscar contender this year, but according to this scoop, it won't be out until February of 2010 now.
As upsetting as this is for people who are dying to see it, it doesn't hurt its Oscar chances since it's 10 slots now, so early year releases aren't death sentences. Essentially, look at this as Paramount putting extra faith in films like 'The Lovely Bones' and 'Up in the Air'.
-Thoughts on the change?

9 comments:

  1. The more I look at this, the less I think the film is hurt by it, but that's just me...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joey it's not that the film's Oscar chances will be hurt [which I am worried about], but I was really banking on seeing this movie. Now my schedule is all shitty thanks to this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. NO! I'm so upset now, I was sure this would be Leo's ticket to finally win...

    ReplyDelete
  4. As talented as the cast and crew may be on this film, it just didn't seem like fodder for the Academy. Very much looking forward to it though. Mind you - a release in Australia will be pushed back too, possibly further!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I heard that Leo couldn't promote the film, so that also played into it

    ReplyDelete
  6. So it's Christopher Nolan's fault. Kidding aside, this really bums me out. Why open up the Best Picture field to 10 when the most interesting movies are leaving?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting thing about the greater number of best pic nominees and their chances at getting big bucks through such exposure. Now there's twice as many nominated pictures, how will these films go when it comes to selling tickets?

    ReplyDelete
  8. It could still have a limited release in LA in December, that making it a candidte for this year's oscars. Then, the movie comes out in February when all of the Academy members are making their votes.

    -Robbie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Disappointed.
    That was number one on my list of movies to look forward to in 2009.

    ReplyDelete