September 5, 2009

Has Venice unspooled one of Michael Moore's best films yet, as well as Telluride doing the same for Jason Reitman?

The early word from the Venice Film Festival seems to indicate that this is another strong showing from more, with In Contention giving a 3 star review, while Variety raves about it and says that "By returning to his roots, professional gadfly Michael Moore turns in one of his best films with "Capitalism: A Love Story."
Also worth noting is that at the Telluride Film Festival there was a surprise screening of "Up in the Air" that's gone over incredibly well too, as this quick hit from In Contention can attest to. The early word says that not only is Reitman 3 for 3, but this may be his best film yet.
-
It's too early to know if either has got a shot at Best Picture, but what do you think?

6 comments:

  1. I wasn't blown over by either Juno or Thank You for Smoking, so calling this one a success for Jason Reitman doesn't leave me with much. But I'll reserve all judgement till I see the film. As for Michael Moore, I'll have to see more to know if it's got a Best Picture chance, but with so many contenders either falling off or still being hidden with the months to come, anything can happen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked, but didn't love Thank You For Smoking, my affection for Juno is well known however, so it'll really have to be something to improve upon that, but we shall see...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even though I am excited for Up In The Air, I would have to agree that it's got to be a definite gem to exceed my love for Juno.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with you guys. I also fell hard for Juno and thought it was deserving of its best pic nom. I haven't let my hopes get too high for Up In The Air, but as its date approaches my excitement grows with anticipation.

    -Robbie

    ReplyDelete
  5. It seems that as the days pass, the buzz for Up in the Air gets louder, so we shall see

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete