November 3, 2009

There's just about every genre of film on DVD this week...

...but are any of them good? Well, there are a few interesting ones, but only one or two of any real quality. When it comes to my PICK OF THE WEEK this week, it was a fairly easy choice. It's:
Food, Inc.
One of the better documentaries of the year, this is a very eye opening look at who exactly controls the food supply and in turn, what we eat. It may very end up being one of the 5 nominees for Best Documentary this year at the Oscars, so keep your eye open for this one.
-The only other film that is above average is The Answer Man, a flawed romantic comedy that features a good performance by Jeff Daniels. It'll play better at home, so it could be worth a look on DVD.
-The rest of the releases this week are a motley crew. They range from the simply average, which would be The Taking of Pelham 1 2 3, The Marc Pease Experiment, Aliens in the Attic, and I Love You, Beth Cooper, to the truly bad, which would be G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra. None of these did much for me, but if they do anything for you, knock yourself out and enjoy.
-My Vintage pick this week is, in honor of the release of Precious: Based on the Novel Push by Sapphire, is a film that I think handled rough material similarly last year...The Wrestler. An acting triumph, the film is an instant classic in my eyes, so if you haven't seen Mickey Rourke own the screen yet, get on that.
-What will you be watching on DVD this week?

1 comment:

  1. I'd also recommend The Shape of Things, just because it's a great film...

    ReplyDelete