February 3, 2010

The weekly DVD column is here, only one day late (for obvious reasons)...

Yes, normally Tuesdays is DVD day, but with the nominations being on everybody's minds, I figured I'd give it an extra 24 hours. Now that the world revolves slightly less around the nods, we're back in the DVD business. For this week's PICK OF THE WEEK, I'm going with one of the most purely entertaining films of the year. It's:
Zombieland
One of the most fun surprises of the year, this movie works as both a horror satire, an honest to goodness zombie movie, and a slapstick comedy. For my money, this is Woody Harrelson's best performance this year, and Jesse Eisenberg proves to be an excellent partner for Woody, as he himself is channeling Woody Allen here. It's a great deal of fun and just a well made movie. I highly recommend this if you haven't yet seen it. It's one of my top 20 film of 2009 and is definitely worth checking out.
-Other films getting a recommendation from me this week include the short film collection New York I Love You, the Lebron James documentary More Than a Game, and the 80's horror throwback The House of the Devil. All three films have flaws, but all three are strong enough to overcome them and be worth a look to anyone who thinks they'd enjoy themselves with one or all of them.
-The rest of the bunch this week fall short for me. The dramedy Cold Souls has its moments, but it's trying way too hard to be like Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, only not as good. Love Happens is a trite and disappointing waste of two good leads, and Amelia is a boring waste of a potentially good biopic. None are that awful, but none are especially good.
-My Vintage pick this week is not going to be based on a release this week. Instead it's simply a choice group of the Oscar nominated films available on DVD. They are, in alphabetical order: The Cove, District 9, The Hurt Locker, Inglourious Basterds, In The Loop, Paris 36, Star Trek, and Up. I enjoyed them all a great deal, and hopefully you will too!
-What will you be watching on DVD this week?

1 comment:

  1. There are other Oscar nominees out on DVD, these are just the strongest to me...

    ReplyDelete