February 19, 2010

Too late, I know, but would Shutter Island have cracked the Best Picture list last year?

It's after the fact, but since it was originally a 2009 release, and a lot of people have said (not myself) that a number of the films were just "filler", it's interesting to think about how Scorsese's latest would have fared This article here from Cinematical goes into the idea of it in the current race (including how Leo would have done in the Best Actor category), and it's a solid read.
-As you see Shutter Island today/this weekend, do you think it would have been one of the current 10 best Picture nominees, and if so, what film would it have knocked out?

7 comments:

  1. The image I posted from the article shows A Serious Man missing, but perhaps The Blind Side or District 9 would have been more vulnerable, but it's just theory now...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it would have. It would probably be considered a filler though. It would probably take the spot from The Blind Side or D9. Leo as a nomine? No. I think the fact that the guy from Serious Man, forgot his name, didn't get in shows how tight that race is. But I am glad that it was released this year. It's not an award movie, it's more of a winter/spring flick. With Scorcese name I would have actually had tried to get to be a summer release, but it doens't really matter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm hearing that it's solid entertainment, but not meant to be a "prestige" pic. I'll be seeing it in a few hours (gotta wait for my girlfriend), so I'll know for myself soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm torn on this subject. It's a genre film from start to finish, but it may have been like many a Hitchock film (whom I think Scorsese was emulating the whole time), with tech nods, an acting nod for DiCaprio over Morgan Freeman, and possibly a spot in the ten. The film is perfect from a tech standpoint. Cinematography, Art Direction, and Editing would have been assured, at the very least. Hopefully the marvelous craft of this film won't be forgotten (probably will though) come next oscar season.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, we certainly shall see. This year, a lot depends on the quality of what comes out. As for last year, I could maybe see Best Picture along with some techs, but acting was too locked in to move.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just saw SHUTTER ISLAND and NO I don't think it would have even been nominated. I was disappointed, but I still did like the film. It doesn't live up to the hype though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree that it works better when you disconnect it from the hype.

    ReplyDelete