March 30, 2010

Another of the most recent nominees for Best Picture hits DVD this week...

...and it's one of the better ones, in my humble opinion. The film in question is not surprisingly my PICK OF THE WEEK, and it's one of the best films of the year in general. It's:
An Education
Carey Mulligan gave one of the performances of the year in this terrific coming of age tale. In fact, I'd argue that this is one of the two or three best acted films of 2009. Credit goes to Nick Hornby for also coming up with one of the best scripts of 2009 as well. It's such a simple yet complex movie, it'll be one to watch again and again in coming years. I highly recommend picking it up.
-Also out this week is two decently high quality films (The Baader Meinhof Complex and Afghan Star), one average/slightly disappointing film (Sherlock Holmes), and one utter piece of garbage (Alvin & The Chipmunks: The Squeakquel). None of them left much of an impression on me, but if they appeal to you, go for it and enjoy.
-My Vintage pick this week is, in honor of the Friday release of Leaves of Grass, another movie involving copious amounts of pot and pot dealing. It's The Wackness, one of my favorite films of 2008. It's an excellent character study that is well worth checking out if you've yet to.
-What will you be watching on DVD this week?

1 comment:

  1. An Education just missed out on cracking my top 10 list...

    ReplyDelete