March 23, 2010

There's a lot of quality on DVD this week...

...and while none of the films are great, all of them are good, making this the rare week in which all of the releases get a recommendation from me. For my PICK OF THE WEEK, I chose to go with the following film:
Brothers
Some of the best acting of the year is featured in this film about the mental anguish that the current war has brought home. Tobey Maguire gives perhaps his best performance ever in this movie, and I highly recommend it for its acting alone, if for no other reason.
-The other releases are good as well, if not quite as good. We have the oddball comedy Men Who Stare at Goats, which is a bit sillier than it needed to be, but still is a lot of fun. There's also The Blind Side, which Sandra Bullock won the Oscar for (as you all know by now). I have issues with this film, but I like it enough to recommend it. Wes Anderson goes the animation route with Fantastic Mr. Fox, which was decently charming and is worth a watch. Finally, we have Red Cliff, John Woo's best film in a while. You have the choice of the U.S. release, which is editing for time, or the foreign release, which is available in two separate parts.
-My Vintage pick is, in honor of Friday's release of Hot Tub Time Machine, another time travel film (perhaps the best ever). It's Back To The Future, and frankly, if you've never seen this classic...get off your ass.
-What will you be watching on DVD this week?

9 comments:

  1. Fantastic Mr. Fox was a masterpiece!!! More than worth the watch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know that I'd go that far, but I agree that it's worth watching.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, The African Queen finally hits DVD...not a new movie, but worth a quick mention here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The last 15-20 minutes of Brothers will make your palms damp.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic Mr. Fox is definitely my favorite animated feature from the last few years.

    And I'm still really annoyed that the Academy nominated The Blind Side, because I own every Best Picture nominee from '89-'08 and everything released so far for '09, so I feel compelled to buy this one. Although, I could just leave a blank spot in its place on my Oscar shelf, maybe even put (500) Days of Summer in its spot. Maybe I'll do that, I like that idea.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're the boss of your own collection sir...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can't say I agree on the acting of Brothers. Tobey Maguire certainly gives one of his biggest performances, but not necessarily his best. Jake Gyllenhaal had the more difficult part, and pulled it off more believably.

    Nothing in that film for the ages, though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm not in love with the film, but I liked it enough for it to be my #30 of the year (between Humpday and Drag Me to Hell).

    ReplyDelete