March 24, 2010

Kevin Smith to finally get to make Red State!

Those of you who are fans of him (myself included) know that this is a long time coming. Here's the story from Moviehole:

Three years after he first announced it, Kevin Smith is set to stock his Nikon up and film "Red State". The long-gestating horror film (plot details of which the filmmaker has never disclosed) will be the "Cop Out" director's next picture - shooting in July.

Smith has had a real battle getting the film up - The Weinstein's knocked it back, and furthermore, nobody else seemed very interested in bankrolling it. At one stage he even considered letting his fans finance it. But, seems someone with an actual vault's come to the party.

"I talk about lots of stuff I wanna do that either happens years later or never happens at all. Happy to report RED STATE is not the latter", Smith tweeted today. "Looks like we start shooting this July. Took nearly three years, but we're finally gonna roll on RED."

After "Red State", Smith shoots the hockey comedy "Hit Somebody" starring Seann William Scott (who stars in Smith's "Cop Out") and 80s icon Wil Wheaton ("Stand by Me","Star Trek: The Next Generation").

-I always like a talented artist trying something different (hey, I even liked Cop Out), so this is exciting to me...thoughts?

6 comments:

  1. Kevin Smith is at his best when the deck is stacked against him (Clerks and Chasing Amy, for example), so this could yield very good results...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely great news to hear. I can't wait to see the results. Has there been any casting news concerning this?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Indeed. No casting yet, though at one point he wanted to go with no-names...

    ReplyDelete
  4. He also wants to shoot it in the style of Half Nelson.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not entirely sure if I like that choice, but I do respect that he's make directorial choices like that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes sir. It sprung up from when he fell in love with Half Nelson while sitting in for Roger Ebert on At the Movies. I can see it working, but hey, it's all in the execution.

    ReplyDelete