March 16, 2010

It's a pretty down week for DVD releases...

...but we press on anyway! There happens to be a lot of volume this week, but quality is severely limited. In fact, the only film I'd even bother to recommend this week with more than a passing mention is the one I've chosen as my PICK OF THE WEEK by default, essentially. It's:
Brief Interviews with Hideous Men
The directorial debut of actor John Krasinski is a very interesting, if flawed adaptation of the title of the same name by David Foster Wallace. He assembled a great cast and shows enough potential as a filmmaker that I'm able to recommend this. If you like something different, you just might like this.
-The aforementioned other titles that I can passingly recommend are the latest flick by Pedro Almodovar, called Broken Embraces, as well as the Disney flick The Princess and the Frog. Neither seemed to be quite as good as potentially hoped for, but both are pretty good compared to the rest of the offerings left this week, so there you have it.
-Rounding out the rest of the movies are the dumb action flicks Armored and Ninja Assassin, as well as the family flicks Astro Boy and Bandslam. There's also The Fourth Kind, which had potential in the wake of Paranormal Activity, but was just plain bland, and New Moon, but the less said about that, the better. Lastly, we have the best of the mediocre bunch, a dramedy from earlier this year I didn't think too much of called Wonderful World. I never thought I'd have anything else to say about the movie, but in a week like this, it rises towards the top (if you're curious about my review of it, it's found here).
-My Vintage pick this week is, in honor of the release of Repo Men, a very similar film called Repo! The Genetic Opera. It's a mess of a movie, but it's a fun mess and an interesting rock opera, so if Repo Men looks too high class for you, give this B movie a shot.
-What will you be watching on DVD this week?

7 comments:

  1. Sorry, the official credits order of "Mother and Child" is Naomi Watts, Annette Bening, Kerry Washington, Jimmy Smits, and Samuel L Jackson. Ms. Watts is the indisputed lead of this film, and the fact that she has been seen promoting the film with the studio in a leading actress capacity at TIFF, SBIFF, Sundance...etc proves that indeed she is lead, and not Ms. Bening who is either supporting, or the most 2nd lead, and who has been absent from the film's promtoional tour. Regards.

    http://www.sonyclassics.com/motherandchild/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know if I'll ever be in a situation where I find Repo Men to be too high class for me. That's like saying you don't want to eat at McDonald's because it's too high class for your tastes. So I suppose for the sake of this comparison, Repo! would be like Jack In The Box or White Castle or something.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brief Interviews with Hideous Men? Over Pedro...that's a cinematic sin.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Richard- Again, don't see where that has to do with DVD releases, but okay.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Andrew- Good thing I'm agnostic...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm an agnostic as well, but I have to agree with Andrew.

    ReplyDelete