March 9, 2010

My favorite film of 2009 comes to DVD this week...

...highlighting one of the better weeks for DVD in recent memory. Leading things off is a film that will surprise no one as my PICK OF THE WEEK, if you've been paying any attention to the site during this past year. It's:
Up in the Air
Not only was this my #1 film of 2009, but it made my top 10 of the decade list. Quite simply, this was a perfect film, a masterpiece of film-making by Jason Reitman. I loved every part of this film, from the magnificent script to the brilliant acting by George Clooney, Vera Farmiga, and Anna Kendrick to the flawless direction by Reitman. Nothing I can say can sell the film anymore than it already has been previously, so just go out and get it today!
-Coming in close second place this week is Michael Moore's latest (and in my opinion, best) documentary Capitalism: A Love Story. I don't think any film made me cry more than this one did. It's a powerful assault on the way we live our lives, and I recommend it to anyone, regardless of your politics.
-Also worth a look this week is the sequel The Boondock Saints II: All Saints Day. It's nowhere near as entertaining as the original, but Troy Duffy has made an adequate enough follow-up that it's a recommended viewing, though you should keep your expectations low. There's also the hard to watch yet rewarding drama The Stoning of Soraya M., which features some great acting. Worth a mention also is the direct to DVD film Hachi: A Dog's Tale, which features Richard Gere and is pretty good, from what I hear. Of course, I'd be remiss not to mention Precious, a film I didn't like nearly as much as most, but a flick that I realize is a quality effort. If you liked the film more than me, it's certainly one to pick up.
-Finally, the mediocre animated flick Planet 51 is out this week, as well as the cinematic abortion that is Old Dogs, but the less said about those, the better (though if you want to read me tear apart the latter film, read my review of it here).
My Vintage pick is, in honor of the limited release this week of festival favorite The Exploding Girl, another film that I see as a companion in terms of being a strong character study (or a potentially strong one in the former's case). It's Half Nelson, and it was one of my favorite films of 2006, as well as being one of my all time favorite character studies and featuring a phenomenal performance by Ryan Gosling.. If you like the actor, this is some fine work by him, and if you've never seen the film, now's your chance to correct that.
-What will you be watching on DVD this week?

15 comments:

  1. Thank you for naming Up In The Air #1 of the year! I agree with you 100%, maybe it didn't get oscar but it sure is the best of 2009 and one of the best of the decade.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My pleasure. It's one of the films of 2009 that I will revisit a number of times in the coming years...

    ReplyDelete
  3. the more I think of the awards the more I am getting upset, especially for Up In The Air. I think I already sent like 100 emails to academy though what's the point, but still...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with your comments about Up in the Air completely. The film was remarkable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Precious is my #1 of the year I'll be purchasing that

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish I loved Up in the Air as much as you did. It's right behind Inglourious Basterds on my list of 2009 films I just didn't "get."

    ReplyDelete
  7. This may be one of those rare occasions where I actually buy a movie the it comes out on DVD.
    (Up in the Air)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sardor: It happens every single year, so no sense in getting too upset...

    ReplyDelete
  9. bryce: Enjoy the movie if you end up buying it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Up in the Air was really good for a little over half of the film, then it started doing the easy things storywise and it fell through a little. Still a very good movie, and my preferential ballot would have had it fourth after Serious Man, Basterds and Up.

    ReplyDelete