December 16, 2009

Today we also have the nominations from the Chicago Critics!

Here's what they nominated:

BEST PICTURE
The Hurt Locker
Inglourious Basterds
A Serious Man
Up in the Air
Where the Wild Things Are

BEST DIRECTOR
Kathryn Bigelow (-) The Hurt Locker
Joel & Ethan Coen (-) A Serious Man
Spike Jonze (-) Where the Wild Things Are
Jason Reitman (-) Up in the Air
Quentin Tarantino (-) Inglourious Basterds

BEST ACTOR
Jeff Bridges (-) Crazy Heart
George Clooney (-) Up in the Air
Matt Damon (-) The Informant!
Jeremy Renner (-) The Hurt Locker
Michael Stuhlbarg (-) A Serious Man

BEST ACTRESS
Abbie Cornish (-) Bright Star
Carey Mulligan (-) An Education
Maya Rudolph (-) Away We Go
Gabourey Sidibe (-) Precious: Based on the Novel Push by Sapphire
Meryl Streep (-) Julie & Julia

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
Peter Capaldi (-) In the Loop
Woody Harrelson (-) The Messenger
Christian McKay (-) Me and Orson Welles
Stanley Tucci (-) The Lovely Bones
Christoph Waltz (-) Inglourious Basterds

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Vera Farmiga (-) Up in the Air
Anna Kendrick (-) Up in the Air
Mo’Nique (-) Precious
Julianne Moore (-) A Single Man
Natalie Portman (-) Brothers

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
Away We Go (-) Dave Eggers & Vendela Vida
The Hurt Locker (-) Mark Boal
Inglourious Basterds (-) Quentin Tarantino
A Serious Man (-) Joel & Ethan Coen
Up (-) Bob Peterson

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
An Education (-) Nick Hornby
In the Loop (-) Jesse Armstrong, Simon Blackwell, Armando Iannucci & Tony Roche
The Informant! (-) Scott Z. Burns
Up in the Air (-) Jason Reitman & Sheldon Turner
Where the Wild Things Are (-) Spike Jonze & Dave Eggers

BEST DOCUMENTARY
Anvil!: The True Story of Anvil
Capitalism: A Love Story
The Cove
Food, Inc.
Tyson

BEST FOREIGN-LANGUAGE FILM
Broken Embraces
Red Cliff
Sin Nombre
Summer Hours
The White Ribbon

BEST ANIMATED FEATURE
Coraline
Fantastic Mr. Fox
Ponyo
The Princess and the Frog
Up

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY
Avatar (-) Mauro Fiore
Bright Star (-) Greig Fraser
The Hurt Locker (-) Barry Ackroyd
Inglourious Basterds (-) Robert Richardson
Where the Wild Things Are (-) Lance Acord

BEST ORIGINAL SCORE
Avatar (-) James Horner
Fantastic Mr. Fox (-) Alexandre Desplat
The Informant! (-) Marvin Hamlisch
Up (-) Michael Giacchino
Where the Wild Things Are (-) Carter Burwell & Karen Orzolek

MOST PROMISING PERFORMER
Sharlto Copley (-) District 9
Christian McKay (-) Me and Orson Welles
Carey Mulligan (-) An Education
Max Records (-) Where the Wild Things Are
Gabourey Sidibe (-) Precious

MOST PROMISING FILMMAKER
Neill Blomkamp (-) District 9
Scott Cooper (-) Crazy Heart
Cary Fukunaga (-) Sin Nombre
Duncan Jones (-) Moon
Marc Webb (-) (500) Days of Summer

-Where the Wild Things Are and Up in the Air both tied for the most nominations with 6...thoughts?

12 comments:

  1. I really like the mentions for Wild Things, Moon, and (500)Days of Summer...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once again, the critics from my city have done me proud. The only glaring omission is Colin Firth, but other than that, I'm loving this list. I also like the mentions for particularly Abbie Cornish, Maya Rudolph, and Peter Capaldi.

    ReplyDelete
  3. MADLY IN LOVE W THESE CRITICS! yesssss wild things! away we go!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Joey SARCASM ON: And what in the world gave you that idea? :SARCASM OFF :D :D

    I actually saw wild things yesterday for the first time (I'm not from the US, in my country (Slovenia) they won't even be playing in any cinema, so I had no choice but the screener) and I was really impressed. It captures the essence of youth, life, love and much more, it's simply beautiful. A unique movie experience, that should be noticed by the academy, so I still hope that it'll get nominated for best pic, but I know that that's quite a longshot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And yes, it's a fantastic film, one of my favorites this year...

    ReplyDelete
  6. So, I love these critics. This list is wonderful. Can we just save this list and publish it as the Oscar nome?

    ReplyDelete
  7. All good stuff here. Basterds, Wild Things, and Serious Man for best picture and director. Both Damon and Stuhlbarg for best actor. And the omission of Sandra Bullock, she was pretty good but Cornish and Rudolph were much better.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think both those screenplay categories are dead on.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm sadenned by the lack of kudos to The Lovely Bones, only because I was hoping Jackson had done well again. I have not yet seen the film (not out in Australia yet), so will see what it's like for myself after Christmas. I have decided not to read any reviews on the film because I really want to find it for myself without any distraction.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope you enjoy it Matthew, I too went in without reading any reviews or the book, and I enjoyed it very much. It wasn't quite up to Peter Jackson's high standards, but it will probably end up in my top ten of the year.

    ReplyDelete