December 30, 2009

Some critics chime in on what were the Must-See and Must-Miss films of 2009

This is from Rotten Tomatoes (the actual article is found here), and it's an interesting look at what a handful of film critics thought the cream of the crop was this year (along with the spoiled milk). Here's what they came up with:

Claudia Puig (USA Today)
Must-See: The Hurt Locker
Worst: All About Steve

Alonso Duralde (IFC)
Must-See: Fantastic Mr. Fox
Worst: All About Steve

Pete Hammond (Boxoffice Magazine)
Must-See: Up in the Air
Worst: Miss March

James Barardinelli (Reelviews)
Must-See: Avatar
Worst: Old Dogs

Peter Howell (Toronto Star)
Must-See: The Hurt Locker
Worst: Away We Go

Jordan Hoffman (UGO)
Must-See: Star Trek
Worst: Gentleman Broncos

Nell Minow (BeliefNet)
Must-See: It Might Get Loud
Worst: All About Steve

Eric D. Snider (Film.com)
Must-See: (500) Days of Summer
Worst: All About Steve

James Rocchi (MSN Movies)
Must-See: The Hurt Locker
Worst: Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen

-Thoughts?

10 comments:

  1. I didn't think All About Steve was THAT awful, though it was far from good...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha didn't All About Steve take a pounding. What will be interesting is whether it will destroy Sandra Bullocks chances aka Eddie Murphy and Norbit.

    And Away We Go as a Worst?! Very interesting. Hardly think it deserved that, no matter how cliche it got.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked Away We Go, so I'm not sure what rubbed people the wrong way about it...

    ReplyDelete
  4. And I doubt the ill will towards All About Steve will hurt Bullock. She has two big hits this year, and that should dilute any potential damage...

    ReplyDelete
  5. interesting list....not quite sure how Away We Go got on anyone's worst list. I really liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Im with you guys on Away We Go--I thought it was a really charming flick. I dont really see how you could say it was the worst, especially with films like Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen and GI Joe arouns...but to each his own I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I found Away We Go more than charming it's easily my number two of the year and in my personal 10 for the decade. I do not understand why half the people react so negatively towards it. I know a decent amount of people who fell madly in love with it like I did. I actually watched it for maybe the 5th time last night.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think it just rubbed some people the wrong way. Not me, but enough others, you know?

    ReplyDelete
  9. After seeing Avatar last night I have got to say it should be on everyone's MUST SEE list! Forget your Bucket List - fulfill your MUST SEE list now!

    ReplyDelete