December 15, 2009

You'd have to be a Basterd not to love the big release this week on DVD!

Of course, it's fine if you didn't like the film I'm referencing in the title, but I couldn't help myself when I was choosing a title for this week's column. Let's not bury the lead though, as my PICK OF THE WEEK is one of the more popular films of the year. It's:
Inglourious Basterds
Critics and audiences alike embraced Quentin Tarantino's long awaited WW2 epic with open arms, and on DVD the trend should continue. This is one of my favorite films of the year, featuring one of the best performances of the year, namely Christoph Waltz (though Melanie Laurent is no slouch). There's nothing I can say about this film to sell it anymore than its high quality has already, so I'll just say that this one is definitely worth your money this week.
-Also out this week worthy of a recommendation from me is The Hangover and Taking Woodstock. Both fell a little below my expectations, but both are above average films that have their cheerleaders (the former more than the latter). If you dug these films, now's your chance to pick them up on DVD.
-Two other flicks both hit shelves today, but neither are much to write home about. The Other Man is a melodrama that isn't bad, but isn't good either. Then we have G-Force, which was just plain bad, and the less said about it, the better.
-My Vintage pick is, in honor of the long awaited release of Avatar, a group of films that I think will combine to prepare you well for James Cameron's latest. They are (in alphabetical order) Aliens, Dances with Wolves, FernGully: The Last Rainforest, and Return of the Jedi. Watch them as a marathon, and you'll be ready for Thursday and Avatar!
-What will you be watching on DVD this week?

1 comment:

  1. I tend not to mention Blu-Ray too much, but this is definitely a film worthy of the format...

    ReplyDelete