December 14, 2009

BFCA Reactions

Well, the first major awards show has announced their nominees, in comparison to the HFPA or AMPAS, this diverse group is made up of critics including yours truly. There are arguments to be made that the organization votes for the likely Oscar contenders rather than the actual film craft. I can only speak for myself, but I vote for the craft itself. I don't let the "likely" contenders sway my vote. I knew when I voted, there were going to be some throw away votes on my list as I realized they probably had no chance but I was fine with that. I did my job and my job was done.

Best Picture -
  • Avatar
  • An Education
  • The Hurt Locker
  • Inglourious Basterds
  • Invictus
  • Nine
  • Precious
  • A Serious Man
  • Up
  • Up In The Air
These could easily be the predicted ten. There my predictions as of now. Are these my voted ten? No. I was a little surprised by Nine given the lukewarm reception by the critics. I'm just glad to not see Peter Jackson's The Lovely Bones, even though showing up with 6 nominations anyway.

Best Director
  • Kathryn Bigelow – “The Hurt Locker”
  • James Cameron – “Avatar”
  • Lee Daniels – “Precious”
  • Clint Eastwood – “Invictus”
  • Jason Reitman – “Up In The Air”
  • Quentin Tarantino – “Inglourious Basterds”
Go Daniels! Go Bigelow! Go Cameron! I think Tarantino still has an uphill climb ahead of him to nab a Director nomination, screenplay hurts enough. Eastwood's nod, though bugs some people, I'm fine with. Rob Marshall may find himself missing come Oscar time if stuff like this keeps up.

Best Actor
  • Jeff Bridges – “Crazy Heart”
  • George Clooney – “Up In The Air”
  • Colin Firth – “A Single Man”
  • Morgan Freeman – “Invictus”
  • Viggo Mortensen – “The Road”
  • Jeremy Renner – “The Hurt Locker”
These six guys are in contention. Bridges, Clooney, Firth and Freeman are looking locked and loaded for Oscar. Renner is very likely. Mortensen is a dark horse. It's a pity not to see Michael Stuhlbarg, if everyone basing the performance on actual quality, he should be in there.

Best Actress
  • Emily Blunt – “The Young Victoria”
  • Sandra Bullock – “The Blind Side”
  • Carey Mulligan – “An Education”
  • Saoirse Ronan – “The Lovely Bones”
  • Gabourey Sidibe – “Precious”
  • Meryl Streep – “Julie & Julia”
Whoa, no Helen Mirren or The Last Station for that matter. Ronan deserves the mention here no matter how bad the film is, everyone agrees she's good enough. Emily Blunt was a surprise but may just be in the realm of Kate Beckinsale's mention last year for Nothing But the Truth. Bullock gets another mention to add to her armor and is looking good for the Oscar nod.

Best Supporting Actor
  • Matt Damon – “Invictus”
  • Woody Harrelson – “The Messenger”
  • Christian McKay – “Me And Orson Welles”
  • Alfred Molina – “An Education”
  • Stanley Tucci – “The Lovely Bones”
  • Christoph Waltz – “Inglourious Basterds”
Matt Damon's mention puts a real bad taste in my mouth. Considering the voting method of the BFCA's, I find it perplexing that anyone would pick Damon. Surprising to not see Christopher Plummer and it might sting harder then people might think, or maybe not enough voters saw The Last Station.

Best Supporting Actress
  • Marion Cotillard – “Nine”
  • Vera Farmiga – “Up In The Air”
  • Anna Kendrick – “Up In The Air”
  • Mo’Nique – “Precious”
  • Julianne Moore – “A Single Man”
  • Samantha Morton – “The Messenger”
It is absolutely awesome to Marion Cotillard in the right category for the right film. Hopefully AMPAS and the Weinsteins pick up on this and switch her categorization. Farmiga, Kendrick, and Mo'Nique are locked and loaded. Moore is a safe bet. Morton is surprising, pleasant, and helps in the campaign. This may hurt Penelope Cruz's campaign as people thought she was considered the most likely to be recognized of the cast.

Overall, the nominations didn't offer anything too distinctive. Bright's Star's absence is significant. No love for Brothers outside of Bailee Madison (which is very deserving). Original Screenplay may be the Oscar final five. Adapted screenplay is eh, a bit uninspired if you ask me. Where is Where the Wild Things Are? The Last Station? In the Loop? Oh well. And all that Avatar love! Fantastic to see.

Who do you think will win? Remember to watch the Critics Choice Awards on January 15, 2010 on VH1

1 comment: