December 22, 2009

Two of the most popular films of 2009 hit DVD this week!

Yes, there are two very good choices this week on DVD, along with a host of lesser options. For my PICK OF THE WEEK, it's between two very different films. In the end, I went with the less popular one, but the one I greatly preferred. It's:
(500) Days of Summer
One of the 5 best films of 2009, this is a heartbreaking comedy that gets it exactly right when it comes to how people perceive their significant other in a relationship. Perhaps the most inventive screenplay of the year mixes in with solid direction and two phenomenal lead performances to make this a DVD selection that I can't recommend enough. Anyone unlucky enough to have missed this Oscar hopeful in theaters needs to pick this one up immediately!
-The second place pick this week is District 9, a surprise hit that, while a little flawed to me, is still terrific entertainment. This movie came out of nowhere to be a fringe Oscar contender, and when you watch the movie (if you haven't already), you'll likely understand why.
-The other films this week that get a passing mark from me are the musical documentary It Might Get Loud, and the indie comedy Blind Date. Neither are excellent films, but both are compelling enough to be worth a look if you haven't seen them. Blind Date was actually directed by Stanley Tucci, so if nothing else, he's had quite the year.
-The rest of the films out there this week didn't do much for me. They are All About Steve, Extract, and Beyond a Reasonable Doubt. None were awful (yes, even Steve), but none of them were good enough to get a recommendation out of me, unfortunately.
-My Vintage pick this week is, in honor of the release of It's Complicated, my two favorite Nancy Meyers films. They are What Women Want and Something's Gotta Give. While these films are aimed at women, guys can easily laugh at them too, so if you want some light entertainment this week, this is a solid way to go.
-What will you be watching on DVD this week?

5 comments:

  1. Both of the two films I rave about this week are in contention for my top 10 of the year...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ill definitely be picking up a copy of District 9--Sci Fi at its finest!

    I believe I have (500) Days of Summer up next in my netflix queue. Im retty excited to finally catch that as well. Everyone seems to love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. (500) Days of Summer is in my top 5 of the year...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Agreed about District 9 by the way, I just really liked that, while I absolutely loved (500) Days of Summer.

    ReplyDelete