December 15, 2009

The 2009 Golden Globe Nominations are announced!

The wait is over...here they are:

Motion Picture, Drama
Avatar
The Hurt Locker
Inglourious Basterds
Precious
Up in the Air

Motion Picture, Comedy/Musical
500 Days of Summer
The Hangover
It’s Complicated
Julie & Julia
Nine

Actress, Drama
Emily Blunt, The Young Victoria
Sandra Bullock, The Blind Side
Helen Mirren, The Last Station
Carey Mulligan, An Education
Gabby Sidibe, Precious

Actor, Drama
Jeff Bridges, Crazy Heart
George Clooney, Up in the Air
Colin Firth, A Single Man
Morgan Freeman, Invictus
Tobey Maguire, Brothers

Actor Comedy/Musical
Matt Damon, The Informant
Daniel Day Lewis, Nine
Robert Downey Jr., Sherlock Holmes
Joseph Gordon Levitt, 500 Days of Summer
Michael Stuhlbarg, A Serious Man

Actress, Comedy/Musical
Sandra Bullock, The Proposal
Marion Cotillard, Nine
Julia Roberts, Duplicity
Meryl Streep, Julie & Julia
Meryl Streep, It’s Complicated

Director
Kathryn Bigelow, The Hurt Locker
James Cameron, Avatar
Clint Eastwood, Invictus
Jason Reitman, Up in the Air
Quentin Tarantino, Inglourious Basterds

Screenplay
Neill Blomkampt & Terri Tatchell, District 9
Mark Boal, The Hurt Locker
Nancy Meyers, It’s Complicated
Jason Reitman & Sheldon Turner, Up in the Air
Quentin Tarantino, Inglourious Basterds

Original Score
Michael Giacchino, Up
Marvin Hamlisch, The Informant
James Horner, Avatar
Abel Krozeniowski, A Single Man
Karen O. and Carter Burwell, Where the Wild Things Are

Foreign Language Film
Baria
Broken Embraces
The Maid
Un Prophete
The White Ribbon

Original Song
“Cinema Italiano,” Nine
“I Want To Come Home,” Everybody’s Fine
“I See You,” Avatar
“The Weary Kind,” Crazy Heart
“Winter,” Brothers

-
'Up in the Air' led the field with 6 nods...thoughts?

19 comments:

  1. I think they turned out interestingly enough, though again they favored big stars...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm most happy for Michael Stuhlbarg, I hope this nomination builds towards bigger and better. He deserves an oscar nomination.

    Also, the nomination of Tobey Maguire could build into an oscar nomination. Although the category is stacked with competition, he's been deserving of a nomination for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're right. Double nomination for Sandra Bullock... Robert Downey Jr for Holmes.... Julia Roberts for Duplicity....

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a bad habit of theirs, but they've done far worse than this year...overall they did a solid enough job, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know but that Julia Roberts nomination just stinks.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. yeah, especially over Zooey ... just stupid

    I don't like Tobey in there ... besides the last scene I thought Jake actually did a better job personally

    wish wild things would have cracked one of the best picture groups

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just love this year's nominations, especially the ones for Avatar...It seems that the nominees for Best Supp Actress are almost locked, I guess that everybody predicted them, myself included.
    I am happy for the recognition that Emily Blunt receives these days with BFCA and GG nominations.
    I think that Sandra Bullock is lock for Oscar nomination.
    And last...Julia Roberts????Really??For this role, for this particular film? It seems that they didn't know with whom to fill this category.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Some weird ones but a lot of pleasant surprises in the nominations. LOVE to see Levitt, Harrelson, and especially Stuhlbarg. STUHLBARG FOR OSCAR NOM! Definitely been wanting that ever since I saw the film

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know I'm gonna get some hate for this, but I actually think that Julia Roberts is quite deserving of that nomination at this point. In fact, I think that, at this point, she deserves to be nominated for an Oscar as well. Honestly, the category is just that weak this year, but I still think she's great in the role.

    WTF? "District 9" got a nomination for screenplay, though? Really? If anything, that's the weakest part of the film in my opinion.

    I think it's safe to say, at this point, that Tarantino is in the game...

    ReplyDelete
  10. And now we are sure Meryl Streep is a lock for something. Also im very happy sandra bullock got some love. She is a very underated actor in my opinon. Sadly, there is not a lot of love for the lovely bones.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think that District 9 deserves even more than a screenplay nomination, the movie was really good and also I forgot to ask you about your opinion on Emily Blunt and do you think that now she has a chance to grab an Oscar nom

    ReplyDelete
  12. Overall, I gotta say, I don't have any real complaints. There are plenty of things I wouldn't have nominated, but no egregious errors...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jeremy Renner is in a tough field...but he clearly deserves a nod over Maguire (despite a strong performance).

    I didn't see Maguire messing it up, but Renner was stunning.

    Oh well, everything else looked great for the Hurt Locker.

    Although Up in the Air, with commercial vanity, will dominate the GGs.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Clayton Davis said: "Of these five need to make room for Meryl Streep but which one? On the surface you
    would think Emily Blunt, but who knows? If she's nabs a Screen Actors Guild nomination, she's in. Mulligan is the only lock."

    Did he really think Mulligan is the ONLY lock ? What about Meryl Streep and Gabourey Sidibe? Even Bullock only needs a SAG nom to get into the nominated 5.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I believe he meant that exclusive to the 5 nominees from the globes in Drama...Streep was from the Musical/Comedy section.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What is with the hate from Davis over The Informant!? Damon's performance was by far the best lead acting I've seen so far this year and the score was the most original/hysterical thing to come out of that movie...!

    ReplyDelete
  17. As he wrote in his review, he didn't care for the film, so he's bound to not be enthused by awards attention for it. I'm the same way with The Lovely Bones...

    ReplyDelete
  18. I don't see how it's possible not to love the score from that movie...that's all.

    ReplyDelete
  19. There are few things more subjective than film and music, and when you mix the two together, there will never be a consensus on anything...

    ReplyDelete